- Outpatient rehab - 406.327.4050
- Inpatient rehab - 406.327.4165
- Community Bridges brain injury program - 406-327-4592
- Oncology Rehab - 406-327-4050
If an injury, illness or disability is putting limits on how you live your life, the Rehabilitation Institute of Montana (RIM) can help. Ours is the oldest rehabilitation program of its kind in Montana. It’s also the most comprehensive, and with the latest technologies, equipment and treatment strategies—along with our highly trained staff—we rank among the top rehab centers in the Northwest. At RIM, we take the extra step of making it personal. Whether you’re here for a few hours of outpatient therapy or staying with us as an inpatient, we take special care to make you feel at home. In fact, you could think of our facility as a medical destination—one dedicated not only to your rehabilitation but also your overall health, well being and peace of mind.
Accredited by CARF
CARF accreditation is a seal of approval confirming that we have met internationally recognized standards, and it is a tool for quality improvement within our organization and improved outcomes for our patients. We're proud to have earned the following CARF accreditations:
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs - Hospital (Adults)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs - Hospital (Children and Adolescents)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs - Hospital: Brain Injury Specialty Program (Adults)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs - Hospital: Stroke Specialty Program (Adults)
- Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs: Brain Injury Specialty Program (Adults)
- Community Employment Services: Employment Supports
- Community Employment Services: Job Development
- Comprehensive Vocational Evaluation Services
- Employment Planning Services
Patients come to RIM from across the state and from across town here in Missoula for Physical Medicine Rehabilitation. Our nationally recognized experts work as a team to treat people who are recovering from a stroke, head trauma, spinal cord injury or other debilitating condition, giving them the tools to re-enter the world with confidence.
A typical stay at RIM is just under two weeks. During that time you’ll benefit from cutting-edge therapies in a program designed specifically for you. With each step, you’ll get the support you need to reach and exceed your goals. Patients who no longer need to stay with us may return for day treatment, where they receive similar therapies for a few hours a day. If you need less intensive therapy, one of our outpatient programs may be right for you.
Learn more about the RIM Inpatient Services or call 406.327.4165.
People who come to RIM on a day-to-day basis get the same special treatment as those who stay with us. You’ll feel it right away—the personal touch that inspires confidence. Each person’s care is designed for their unique situation, and our range of therapies is exhaustive. Our facilities are staffed with specialists in physical therapy occupational therapy and speech/language pathology.
For example, we help people of all ages—including children—with:
- Physical therapy. PT can improve a wide range of conditions such arthritis pain, injuries, diabetes, birth defects, incontinence, disabilities after a stroke, chronic pain and many more.
- Problem wounds. Experts in wound care use specialized technologies such as Vacuum Assisted Closure (VAC) and UV light therapy to speed healing.
- Finding the right wheelchair. In our Wheelchair Clinic, the only two certified Seating and Mobility Specialists in Montana help both adults and kids get comfortable in a wheelchair that fits them.
- Speech therapy. Our therapists treat kids and adults with speech, language and swallowing disorders.
- Occupational therapy. After an injury or stroke, OT can help you recover abilities such as driving, writing, cooking and other everyday skills.
- Cardiac rehab. Exercise and lifestyle changes can lower your cardiovascular risks, especially after a heart attack or heart surgery.
Learn more about the RIM Outpatient Rehabilitation Services or call us at 406.327.4050.
Community Bridges Program
For brain injury patients, specialized care happens in our Community Bridges program—the only one of its kind in the Rocky Mountain West. More than half of Montana’s Certified Brain Injury Specialists practice there. You can learn more by visiting the link above or by calling 406-327-4592.
Specialty Clinics and other services
Beyond our core inpatient and outpatient programs, we also offer several specialty clinics. To learn more, choose a link below:
- Wheelchair Clinic (page coming soon)
- Driving Clinic (page coming soon)
- Wound Care Clinic
Community Medical Center has partnered with Oncology Rehab Partners to provide high quality cancer rehabilitation care for patients that suffer from side effects from cancer or their treatment. Our certified STAR Team offers a unique program not only for our patients but also for cancer patients in the Missoula Community and surrounding areas. By providing a more holistic approach to the way we care for patients, we plan to help prevent new primary cases, recurrence of original cancers and other co morbidities through education and promoting physical activity and healthy lifestyle choices. For more information, please call 406-327-4050
Peace of mind
It’s normal to feel anxious when your health is at stake. At RIM we work hard to ease your mind. For example, families are welcome to stay in the rooms with their loved ones. They’re also invited to the weekly care conferences. Our transitional-living apartment can give you confidence as your discharge approaches. Families can stay there with their loved one to see what life at home will be like. You can also be assured that if you have a health crisis, you’re just minutes from emergency services at Community—no ambulance ride necessary.
RIM is certified by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. But we’re proudest of the praise that comes from our patients. Some of them come back to thank us and others send cards. One recent patient summed it up as she was discharged. She told our staff, “I wish I could take you all home with me.”
You can find out more about the Rehabilitation Institute of Montana by calling inpatient rehab at 406.327.4165 or outpatient rehab at 406.327.4050
Your multidisciplinary team
The Rehabilitation Institute of Montana is accredited by CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities), and our inpatient programs for brain injury and stroke have received the nation’s top accreditation for quality. An entire team works together to help you meet your goals:
- You — Your personal goals, motivation, participation, and safety are very important for your recovery.
- Your support system — We can help you and your support system adapt to the changes debility may bring through education, social services, psychological counseling, and follow-up care.
- Physiatrist — Your physician who specializes in physical rehabilitation medicine and oversees your treatment plan.
- Certified rehabilitation registered nurse — Provides 24-hour care, education, and training on your condition, medications, and other needs.
- Physical therapist — Helps to increase strength, endurance, range of motion, flexibility, and mobility using safe techniques and strategies.
- Occupational therapist — Explores new techniques to help maximize your independence with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, grooming, and dressing.
- Speech therapist — Assists with speech, swallowing, memory, cognition, and other needs to maximize safety and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Dietitian — Provides education and meal plans customized to individual dietary needs.
- Social worker — Provides support, discusses available resources and financial coverage, arranges discharge services.
For more in depth information check out these pages below:
- Home and Community Based Services
- Stroke Resources
- Community Bridges
- Occupational Health